West Liberty University’s Community University is ready to begin a new slate of classes for students ages 50 and over. The casual classes meet mostly at the Highlands Center campus and offer a variety of topics for self-improvement, knowledge, and entertainment.
The kickoff will take place from 5 – 7 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 1, and features food and a presentation by WLU alumnus, Matt Welsch, owner and chef of Wheeling’s Vagabond Kitchen. Dinner will be served at 5 p.m., and the presentation gets going at 6 p.m.
“I’m pleased to begin another session of Community University with a class by our own Matt Welsch. He’ll describe his professional path, which is unique and includes lots of travel. He’ll also share lots of information about his business. Please join us,” said Executive Director Ron Witt, who leads the Community University program and also is WLU alumni director.
Class registration ($25) will be conducted that night or may be done online. There is an additional fee for dinner.
Other classes include the following:
· Films with Art Barbeau, eight sessions, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m., Oct. 7, 14, 21, and 28 and Nov. 4, 11, 18, and Dec. 2.
· Missing Key to Wellness, Chiropractor Brennan Huls, two sessions, 10 – 11 a.m., Oct. 8 and 22.
· Who Do You Think You Are? Personality testing, Professor Tifani Fletcher, 1:30 -3:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 9.
· Wheeling’s Unsung Heroes and Heroines, Jeanne Finstein and Judi Hendrickson, 10 – 11:30 a.m., Oct. 15.
· Wealth Management with financial advisors Joe and Sandy Bell, four sessions, 1:30 p.m., Oct. 28, Nov. 11, 18 and Dec. 2.
· Wheeling’s Mobsters with Steve Novotney, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Oct. 29.
· Chair Yoga, Simple Meditation with Lindsay Schooler, 1:30 p.m., Nov. 4.
· Flat Boats of the Ohio River with Steve Nixon, 1 – 3 p.m., Nov. 11.
· Russia: Legitimate Threat or Newfound Boogieman, WLU Assistant Professor of Languages Leonard Rinchiuso, 3 p.m., Nov.12.
· Beginners Guide to Selling on eBay, WLU Chief Technology Officer Jim Clark, 2 – 3 p.m., Nov. 18.
· Diabetes Discussion, Assistant Professor of Nursing Marie DuToit, RN, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m., Nov. 19.
· Healthy Eating for the Holidays, WLU Alumna Kathleen O’Connor, 1 – 3 p.m., Nov. 19.
To register for classes, contact Savannah Moore at the Highlands Center at 304.217.2800 or email@example.com or visit the Community University online atwestliberty.edu/community-
WLU’s Highlands Center is located along Cabela Drive in the Highlands shopping complex, near the Marquee Cinema.