New Vrindaban will celebrate Ratha Yatra or the Festival of India (Chariots), one of the world’s oldest religious festivals, from 2-8 p.m. Saturday, July 14, in downtown Wheeling.
This is the third year that New Vrindaban will present this festival, which has its roots in ancient India and is celebrated in major cities worldwide, from Paris to London and from Durban to New York.
- A colorful chariot parade to start at WesBanco Arena at 5 p.m.
- Entertainment featuring local bands, Drum Café with Bhima and Indian cymbal playing with Lila, as well as a fusion of poetry, dance and drama.
- Multicultural storytelling and street painting. In the spirit of unity, speakers will focus on the theme of compassion, tolerance and concern for justice in all faiths.
- Yoga meltdown every hour with local yoga teachers.
- Internationally acclaimed life coach Vipula Das will speak on “The Art of Forgiveness.” Empower yourself by receiving the tools to change your life.
- Vedic astrologer Pandit Jagannath Cassidy will be exploring topics such as “Relationships” and “How to Mess Up Your Life With Astrology.” Having helped hundreds with personal crises, he will be available onsite for individual readings.
- Dance to the beat of Odissi dancer Keli Chanchala, a Hungarian native living in London and classically trained in India.
Health and Beauty
Thinking about going natural? Pop into the cooking booth and discover all-natural, interesting and cost-effective methods to improve and maintain your health, including Cleopatra’s beauty secret. Learn about Ayurveda, a holistic approach to health that allows you to become a balanced, vital person with the least effort.
Gift and Clothing Boutique
If “shop till you drop” is your mantra, then the retail boutique is just where you want to be. From exotic eastern garments for women to kiddie saris and hand-crocheted dolls, it has something for every person and pocket.
Spoil yourself at the food court where you will find an array of delectable eats from authentic Indian cuisine to Western treats. It’s East meets West, with affordable, homemade food prepared within minutes.
Carnival Festivities for the Kids
The site will come alive with a host of carnival festivities for the kids. A variety of arts and crafts and activities that include fairy gardens, hair braiding and a cake walk will keep them entertained.