ROAR INTO THE ’20s
• Join Generation Wheeling for “Roaring Into the ’20s” for an evening of food, drinks and fun to celebrate the return of the roaring ’20s from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, at The Capitol Theatre Ballroom. Dance the night away to live music from Hit Play. $50 includes appetizers, open bar, photo booth and a champagne toast when the clock strikes midnight. Designated drivers and non-drinkers can join in the fun for $35.
• Celebrate 2020 by time-traveling and winning at the Back Through the Decades New Year’s Eve Party, Tuesday, Dec. 31, at Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino. Enjoy any or all of these parties at the Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack. The Meeting Rooms will be decked out like a 1920s Speakeasy for the “Roarin’ ’20s Dueling Pianos Show.” The ’70s Dance Party in the Showroom features the high-energy dance band, New York Minute. The ’50s and ’60s party on the Racing Terrace features a prime rib buffet. Get all-access passes or individual party tickets at the Wheeling Island Gift Shop or on Ticketmaster.
• The Roller Derby in Moundsville will host a New Year’s Eve Skating Party at 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31. All skaters will receive party favors, pizza/hot dog and a “kid-friendly” toast at midnight. Admission is $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Skate rentals are $2. 304-845-8898
• Come to the Ohio Valley Pride Community Center at 10 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, for a New Year’s Eve Glow Party. It will be a glow theme, complete with glow sticks and other party favors. BYOB; soda drinks and snacks at the concession stand.
• Something for the kids! The St. Clairsville Sunrise Rotary Club’s Kidz will host a Noon Year’s Eve Bash, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, at the Ohio Valley Mall. Bring your children and enjoy a balloon drop at noon, playing time at Tilt Studio, magic shows, balloon art, face painting, arts and crafts, a DJ and other goodies! $5 per child. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
MANSION IS DECKED
Holidays at the Mansion, featuring 13 period rooms decorated in holiday finery at Oglebay Institute’s Mansion Museum, is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, through Jan. 5. It is closed on New Year’s Day. $10; free for ages 17 and under accompanied by an adult; 304-242-7272; www.OIonline.com
OGLEBAY FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS
There’s still time to see Oglebay’s twinkling lights through Jan. 5. The Winter Festival of Lights features more than one million lights in 90 displays and covers more than 300 acres over a 6-mile drive through Oglebay Park. New to the show in 2019, guests can experience a variety of enchanting activities at the new Frosted Hilltop attraction located near Oglebay’s iconic Mansion Museum at The Hilltop. This magical wonderland is home to the Snowflake Express Train Ride, designed for children, located inside Oglebay’s greenhouse, while guests of all ages can embark on a 20-minute guided adventure through the twinkling hillsides while aboard the new Frosty Wagon Ride. While at the Frosted Hilltop, guests can experience the Garden Bistro’s new Ice Lounge featuring firepits, s’mores kits and seasonal refreshments, including holiday beverages for guests 21 and older, while enjoying panoramic views of the breathtaking hillside. Visitors can warm up at the Ice Lounge from 5-9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from noon to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. With the return of 3D Sleigh Bans, the 2019 Winter Festival of Lights promises to be even more stunning. This year, guests will enjoy new holographic filters, including gingerbread men, candy canes, snowmen and snowflakes. For information about the Winter Festival of Lights, visit www.oglebay.com/lights.
OPEN HOUSE, OPEN WINE
Good Mansion Wines will devote each Friday wine tasting in December to an open house tasting. The open house format features a bounty of holiday wines along with foods from the deli and live music. 6 p.m. $15 at the door, no reservations needed. Occupancy limited to 40.
The unique music of rock music veteran Mike Styer will be featured at Undo’s Elm Grove on Saturday, Dec. 28. Styer is a guitarist and vocalist who specializes in a mixture of familiar classic rock music. The music starts at 8:30 p.m. Undo’s is located at 2153 National Road, Wheeling.
UP THE ROAD …
• Experience the Magic of Christmas Tours by appointment through Jan. 6, at the Belmont County Victorian Mansion Museum in Barnesville, Ohio. Enjoy this elegant, 26-room mansion spectacularly decorated for the holidays and experience the magic of Christmas. Call 740-425-1457, 425-2228 or 695-0766 for more details and to schedule an appointment.