SPARKLING WINE TASTING
Good Mansion Wines will serve up a bounty of sparklings and other reds and whites to usher in the New Year! At 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 28, taste and compare Prosecco, Cava, Champagne, Cremant, along with house reds and whites. This open house tasting is complemented by offerings from the back charcuterie and bakery. $15. No reservations needed; occupancy limited to 40. www.goodmansionwines.com
RING IN THE NEW YEAR
- River City Restaurant, 1400 Main St., Wheeling, New Year’s Eve party packages
- New Year’s Dinner, Vagabond Kitchen, 4 p.m.
- NYE at Generations with DJ richie d, 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Kids’ Party, 6-8 p.m., Children’s Museum, 1000 Main St., Wheeling
- New Year’s Eve Overnighter, YMCA, 6 p.m. Dec. 31, to 9 a.m., Jan. 1. For children kindergarten through sixth grade. Games, swimming, crafts, pizza, snacks, drinks and movies. $30
SING IN THE NEW YEAR
“Sing in the New Year” with Dueling Pianos featured in the New Year’s Eve Ultra Lounge, 8 p.m. Monday, Dec. 31, at Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack. Entertainment, light appetizers, party favors, balloon drop and a champagne toast are all included in the $20 per person price of admission. Music kicks off at 8:30 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. Seating is a mix of chairs and standing room only.
RUN INTO THE NEW YEAR
Oglebay’s New Year’s 5K Run/Walk is set for 10 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29. Race day registration takes place at 9 a.m. at the main entrance of Oglebay Good Zoo. The race will begin and end in the upper parking lot of the Good Zoo. The race course will consist of the Susan Wheeler and Arboretum trails weaving throughout the park. This hard-surface course is stroller friendly. Dogs are encouraged to participate but must remain on a leash at all times. $20. Online registration closes at 11:55 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 27.
STILL TIME FOR HOLIDAY FUN
- Visit the Stifel Center and the Schrader Center at Oglebay Park to search for gifts at the Holiday Art Show and Sale, now through Dec. 29. The holiday shopping event features hundreds of handcrafted items from dozens of artisans. 304-242-4200; www.oionline.com
- Oglebay Institute’s Mansion Museum in Oglebay Park is lavishly decorated for the holidays and open to the public for tours through Dec. 31. Professional decorators and talented amateurs have decorated 13 period rooms, hallways and staircases in this year’s theme, “Holiday Magic.” 304-242-7272; www.oionline.com
- The Oglebay hills are alive with more than a million twinkling lights at the Winter Festival of Lights, now through Jan. 1. New this year are the 3D “Sleigh Bans” eyewear with holographic lenses, which transform every point of light into a magical display. www.oglebay.com/events/festival-of-lights
EXHIBITION ON SCREEN
Exhibition on Screen presents a fascinating film about Pierre-Auguste Renoir, one of the world’s most divisive artists. “Renoir: Revered and Reviled” will be shown Dec. 28, 29 and 30 at Oglebay Institute’s Towngate Theatre. This beautiful film, based on the incredible collection of 181 Renoir works at the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia. The film is a fresh biography of this artistic giant but more than that it uncovers a rarely told story that places Renoir as a critical link between the old and the new. Show times are 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 28; 4 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 29; and 2 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 30. Tickets ($7) can be purchased at the door. Beer, wine, soda, water, popcorn and candy are available for purchase. 304-242-7700; www.oionline.com
RECORD SWAP SATURDAY
Join Nail City Record at its downtown Wheeling location for Record Swap Saturdays, noon Saturday, Dec. 29. Gather up a stack of the records that you are willing to trade, bring them down to the shop, and you will find a group of like-minded individuals who also have records to trade. No records to trade and/or new to the scene? Just come say hello and tell us what kind of music you like. You can even get your favorite musician drawn by our featured local artist Mimi Albon. Nail City Record is located at 40 12th St., McLain Building, Suite 300, Wheeling; 304-281-1188; nailcityrecord.com