HomeHappeningsWeelunk Weekender Rochambeau August 27, 2015 Wow, it’s almost upon us already. I’m still nursing my wounds from slithering onto the top of the Table Rock last weekend, and now I have to start preparing for the debauchery this weekend. It’s going to be a busy one, too. Oglebay Institute Board Benefit I’ve been going to these for at least five years, partly because my mother-in-law volunteers as a bartender at them, and I get to boss her around for one night a year. But also, this is one of those parties that I think makes Wheeling truly great; our community is small enough that I will probably already know 25 percent of the people there. That percentage would be a lot higher if I were a bit more extroverted. But anyway, the beautiful thing is that if I strike up a conversation with any of the other 75 percent, we are pretty much guaranteed to have some sort of connection. Our wives work together, they live in my old house, and I went skinny-dipping in their pool in high school. You know that the sort of thing that makes for great conversation. It’s also interesting because the Mansion is opened up a lot more than usual. I try to dress like I’m Old Money, then sweep in through the front door as if I’m Earl W. Oglebay’s close personal friend. It’s a wonderful setting, and with food and drink everywhere you turn, you won’t be disappointed. Friday at 6:30 at the Mansion Museum. Buy your tickets here. Oglebay Good Zoo Benefit Car, Truck, & Motorcycle Show This is one of my favorite local car shows. The setting is just perfect, with lots of shady trees and green grass. It’s also a marathon, stretching from Friday morning until Sunday evening, so there’s no excuse for not making it there for at least a little while. Starts Friday at 8 a.m. at Site One at Oglebay (near the zoo). Dragon Boat Wheeling You had me at “Dragon.” I don’t know exactly what to expect here because I don’t think anything like it has ever happened in Wheeling. I do know that I expect it to be awesome, and I expect my team to win even though we’re a bunch of bungling fools who can’t even come up with a name or plan an after-party. But I do hear that there might be some some serious competition out there, including people who have actually paddled a boat before. Don’t miss this one, even just as a spectator. Russell laid it out for us here on Weelunk. Proceeds benefit the King’s Daughters Child Care Center. Races start Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at Heritage Port. If you have an event going on this weekend, or any other time, that you’d like us to know about, be sure to fill out the form on our Event Submission Page. Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Leave a Reply Cancel ReplyYou must be logged in to post a comment.