December 4, 1876: West Virginia’s Third Capitol Building Dedicated in Wheeling Jeremy Morris December 4, 2017 Story courtesy of Weelunk partner West Virginia Public Broadcasting and the West Virginia Humanities Council https://cpa.ds.npr.org/wvpn/audio/2017/12/TWWVH_Dec4_2015.mp3 On December 4, 1876, West Virginia’s third capitol building was dedicated in Wheeling. The stone building was four stories tall with two wings and topped by a cupola. From 1863 to 1870, the state’s first capitol had been located in Wheeling’s Linsly Institute, where state offices shared space with a private school. In 1870, the seat of government was relocated to Charleston but returned to Wheeling again in 1875. The new Wheeling capitol hadn’t been completed yet, so state officials once again took up offices in Linsly Institute for a year and a half and at another site until they could move into the new building. Subscribe to Weelunk The massive structure in downtown Wheeling was destined to be West Virginia’s capitol building for less than a decade. State voters soon chose Charleston as the permanent seat of state government, and the capital returned to Charleston in 1885. The former capitol building in Wheeling became the city-county building for Wheeling and Ohio County. In 1956, Wheeling leaders demolished the former capitol despite its historical and architectural significance—a decision still lamented by those who remember the old capitol building’s grandeur. Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window) Leave a Reply Cancel ReplyYou must be logged in to post a comment.