Corpus Christi School invites CCS alumni and friends to gather in a weekend of celebration on Friday, June 8, and Saturday, June 9, in the Corpus Christi Parish Center, 1508 Warwood Ave., Wheeling.
The weekend starts off with a casual Alumni Reunion on Friday, June 8, that includes tours of the school from 6-7 p.m. with a reunion from 7-9 p.m. in the Parish Center. Hors d’oeuvres and drinks will be served.
“I look forward to seeing returning alumni and giving everyone a chance to reconnect with old friends and faculty from your grade school days, see our recent capital improvements, and to learn about Corpus Christi’s new goals,” said school Principal Dick Taylor.
The third annual CCS Hall of Fame dinner will be held at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, June 9. The dinner program recognizes notable alumni and friends and acknowledges their commitments to their communities, professions and Corpus Christi School.
“At this celebration, we will be inducting former teacher Martina Burke, and alumni Suzie Dailer, Dr. Michael Medovic, Father Thomas E. Schiffer and Patricia Stab, into the CCS Hall of Fame Class. These distinguished names will be added to our official display in the school cafeteria,” said Advancement Director Miranda Zambito.
- Martina Burke taught seventh grade at Corpus Christi School for 26 years. She was also in charge of the CCS Choir and the organist at Corpus Christi Church. She is strongly remembered for her musical talents and playing the organ at Masses, weddings and funerals. She is fondly remembered for devoting her life to Catholic education, family, church and diocese.
- Suzie Dailer graduated from Corpus Christi School in 1987 and resides in Warwood. She is the fourth child of Tom and Peggy Dailer to have graduated from CCS. She was also Corpus Christi School’s physical education teacher for two years and assisted with CCS girls’ basketball. Now a nurse at an assisted living center caring for the elderly, she is still very active in the parish and continues to serve as a member of the Ladies Guild.
- Michael Medovic graduated from Corpus Christi School in 1964 and resides in Warwood. Medovic has served on the CCS School Board and currently serves on the Finance Council. He is a well-known dentistry practitioner in Wheeling and active in the parish and is a supporter of Corpus Christi School.
- Father Thomas E. Schiffer attended Corpus Christi School and graduated in 1950. A Warwood native, he was ordained on May 25, 1963, at St. Joseph Cathedral in Wheeling and became a Diocesan associate pastor. His is fondly remembered for his love, kindness and compassion to those he served.
- Patricia Stab graduated from Corpus Christi School and resides in Wheeling. She has been very involved with Corpus Christi School and church over the years. She prepared the church for masses and was a communion minister to the homebound and sick. A mother of four children who graduated from CCS and a retired nurse from Wheeling Hospital, she currently is a member of the Ladies Guild.
The Alumni dinner will be catered by Generations Restaurant & Pub, and a cash bar will be available. Doors open at 6 p.m., and tables of eight can be reserved. Tickets ($50) are available to purchase at the school.
“Proceeds from this event are so important and will support the 2018 Crusader Campaign. Dollars this year have funded scholarship opportunities, Arts and STEAM (Science, Engineering, Art and Math) programming, safety improvements within the school and general operating needs of our school,” Zambito said.
“This is a great event to attend and support distinguished members of CCS. Please call 304-277-1220 to make your reservation today or inquire about sponsorship opportunities available now. We are grateful for your support,” she added.
Corpus Christi School is marking its 102nd year in mid-June and is one of 19 parish elementary schools in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston. Led by Principal Dick Taylor, it enrolls students age preschool through eighth grade. New this fall, CCS will offer an extended day preschool and pre-K program. For more information, call 304-277-1220 or visit corpuschristiwheeling.com.