“The Great American Read” premiered May 22 on PBS stations, kicking off a summer of reading and voting. Based on the results of a national survey of 7,200 individuals, a list of America’s 100 Favorite Novels was compiled and announced by PBS in May. The list of 100 spans five centuries, from Don Quixote (1603) to Ghost (2016), with authors from 15 different countries represented, and genres ranging from beloved children’s classics such as Charlotte’s Web to modern bestsellers such as The Martian.
This fall, seven new episodes of “The Great American Read” will air on PBS, featuring appearances by celebrities, athletes, experts, authors and everyday Americans advocating for their favorite book, culminating with a finale that reveals America’s best-loved novel as chosen by the American public.
On Thursday, Sept. 6, the Ohio County Public Library will host a kick-off party for “The Great American Read,” and is asking community members to share reflections about their favorite novel from the list of 100.
The PBS series is the centerpiece of an ambitious multi-platform digital, educational and community outreach campaign, designed to get the country reading and passionately talking about books. Individuals are encouraged to vote for the national winning “Great American Read” on the PBS website.
On a state level, the West Virginia Library Commission has partnered with West Virginia Public Broadcasting to promote the literary event and encourage West Virginia libraries to take part in the program. Residents of the Mountain State can vote for the “Great West Virginia Read” on the WVPB website.
The Ohio County Public will also conduct a survey to determine the “Great Wheeling Read.” Stop in the library to cast your ballot or fill out an online survey on the library’s website.
Subscribe to Weelunk
A reveal party for the “Great American Read,” the “Great West Virginia Read” and the “Great Wheeling Read” will be held at the Ohio County Public Library near the end of October.
There are several ways you can participate in the “Great American Read” at the Ohio County Public Library:
• Pick up a copy of America’s 100 Favorite Novels list at the circulation desk.
• Browse our “Great American Read” display and check out books from the list.
• Take part in our “Great American Read” kick-off party, 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, and find out why other community members have chosen their favorite book from the “Great American Read” list.
• Come to the library and watch a film based on one of the “Great American Read” novels. “Great American Read” movies will be shown at 6 p.m. in the library auditorium, Sept. 10, Sept. 17, Oct. 1 and Oct.15. For a list of movies to be shown, pick up a flyer at the library, call 304-232-0244, or visit www.ohiocountylibrary.org.
• Help PBS choose America’s favorite book and vote for your favorite novel from the list of 100 at www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/vote.
• Vote for the “Great West Virginia Read” at www.wvpublic.org/post/great-american-read.
• Cast your ballot for the “Great Wheeling Read” at the library or online at www.ohiocountylibrary.org.
TELL US WHAT YOUR FAVORITE BOOK IS IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW.