Are you passionate about public art? Would you like to see more artwork in Wheeling?
The Wheeling Arts & Cultural Commission, in partnership with Centre Market and with funding from Wheeling Heritage, has launched a new creative crosswalk project.
They are looking for artists to submit design proposals for two new crosswalks that will be at the north end of Centre Market. Artists submitting a design proposal must also be able to execute the design at the indicated location.
This is an opportunity for two artists to paint one crosswalk each. Winning artists will be selected by an online poll with votes from the community.
Artists will be notified on Aug. 31 of the results of the poll.
Artists will be paid $500 after completion of their crosswalk mural on Sept. 15. (Rain date for execution of artwork will be Sept. 22.)
Some guidelines for the project:
• Artists may submit a total of two crosswalk designs.
• Design themes are not limited (i.e. does not need to be Wheeling
focused), but should be family-friendly and appeal to a broad audience
given the location of the public art.
• Designs are limited to four colors of the artist’s choosing and should be bold, simple and graphic.
• Designs may not include blending or gradients. Only two-dimensional designs will be considered.
• Artwork shall not contain any standard traffic signals, sign icons or directional markings.
• Artwork shall not depict any language or images that could be construed as offensive, lurid or obscene.
• Artwork shall not depict material construed as political or religious in connotation.
• Crosswalk design may not include any type of merchant name, merchant advertisement or product endorsement.
Download the linked entry form for complete details. Deadline is 5 p.m. Aug. 19.