In mid-December several representatives from C-SPAN spent nearly a week in the Wheeling area interviewing local historians like Ohio County Magistrate Joe Roxby, Margaret Brennan, Travis Henline, and Dr. David Javersak.
Click here to watch: C-SPAN / Wheeling
C-SPAN’s “Cities Tour” is made possible by a partnership with Comcast, and the local segments recorded throughout the week aired on the non-fiction book channel Book TV.
The selected topics are the following:
- Independence Hall, the birthplace of West Virginia;
- Earl Oglebay and his contributions to the Wheeling community;
- The National Road and the decision to bring it through Wheeling;
- The Lincoln Day speech given by U.S. Sen. Joseph McCarthy on Feb. 9, 1950, at the McLure Hotel in downtown Wheeling;
- Wheeling’s Frontier Era;
- Authors Jeff Rutherford and Dan Weimer;
- The special collections within the Ohio County Public Library, including the content archives within the, “Wheeling Room”;
- And the Palace of Gold at the New Vrindaban community in Marshall County.