WHEELING — Local merchants are showing their holiday spirit and supporting a good cause during the inaugural Home for the Holidays Window Display Contest, sponsored by Youth Services System Inc. (YSS)
Members of the public are invited to check out window displays of 10 participating businesses and then vote online for their favorite. The businesses agreed to participate to help bring awareness to the Home for the Holidays-Wheeling SleepOut 2020 fundraiser, which benefits the YSS Transitional Living Program that serves youth facing homelessness.
“We want to thank these merchants for spreading the word about the SleepOut, and we want to spotlight their efforts to spread holiday cheer during this difficult time for so many,” YSS Special Events Coordinator Terra Crews said.
Merchants participating in the Window Display Contest are (alphabetically):
• Ash & Tin Boutique, 2242 Market St., Wheeling
• Attic Pickers, 201 Main St., Bridgeport
• Bridge Tavern, 950 Main St., Wheeling
• Felton CPA, 1144 Market St., Wheeling
• Hughes Design and Gift Gallery, 600 National Road, Wheeling
• Payton’s Pretties, 355 Wharton Circle Suite 121, Triadelphia
• Rachel’s on 16th, 86 16th St., Wheeling
• Re’Decorate Consignment, 2207 Market St., Wheeling
• ReStyle Consignment, 2215 Market St., Wheeling
• Uniglobe Ohio Valley Travel, 1165 Market St., Wheeling
Each business also has information about the SleepOut and youth homelessness on display, along with a QR code visitors can scan with their mobile phones to place their votes.
“We hope people will take a drive to see the pretty windows and then vote for their favorites,” Crews said. “It could be a fun family activity during the upcoming holiday weekend.”
The 10th annual Wheeling SleepOut will take place virtually Dec. 4. Teams and individuals are invited to hold their own fundraisers and then build a cardboard structure in which to sleep out at home. Videos of local entertainers and a screening of the documentary “American Street Kid” will be shown on YSS social media platforms that night. Winners of the fundraising contest, Boxed-in Design Contest (for the sleepout structures) and the Window Display Contest also will be announced that night.
To cast a vote, learn more about YSS Transitional Living Program, or to donate to the Wheeling SleepOut, please visit www.youthservicessystem.org/events.